Bibliobop: Family Dance Parties at Niles Public Library
I am not one of those grrrls who goes out dancing with her grownup friends. It’s not like I’m a party-pooper or anything, (I’ll make the best of it if I have to) it’s just not my preferred method of “letting my hair down”. Add kids to the mix, and I’m a total party animal.
The idea for library dance parties sprouted back in library school, but I shelved it when I first started working at Niles Public Library to focus on other things.
Summer Reading is a huge event in our department, and make a special effort to load up our calendar with fun programs. But registered storytimes, such as toddler, preschool, and big kids’ storytimes only run during the school year. We offer a couple of year-round drop-in storytimes, which are particularly well-attended during the summer. Four members of the YS staff share these storytimes on a monthly rotation. When I realized I would be cutting back from from 2-3 storytimes per week to 2-3 per month, I got sad; and maybe even a little panicky. In order to scratch the itch, my decided to revisit the dance party idea.
We scheduled them for the second Friday morning of each month. Attendance has varied wildly from month to month. One week we only had 10 people attend, but the last one of the summer we had 71 people attend. On average we have about 35 people. The response from patrons has been very positive, and I see a lot of families coming back week after week, so we decided to continue this program throughout the year.
This is a very easy program to run (however, I do recommend getting a goodnight’s sleep the night before)
Update: I finally posted my Bibliobop Mix. Enjoy
What you need:
- YSD ipod touch (see Bibliobop Playlist)
- song list for patrons to take home
- musical instruments
- One Picture book about dancing, parties, music or singing
- Bubbles (*optional*: kids love them, sometimes they’re a little too much)
Here’s how it works
9:30-10:00 SET UP
- Gather supplies in LMR
- Sound Check: plug in YSD ipod touch or insert mix cd, check volume (play, then walk around to room to make sure it sound ok in different parts of the room.)
- Lay out Instruments on the stage
10:00-10:05 OPEN DOORS and let people get settled
- Greetings (I am DJ Ms Cate, the hostess with the mostest! I hope you brought your wild and crazy mover, shaker, wiggles and giggles with you today because we are going to party up (I stretch up) party down (I bend down) and party all around (I spin)!
- The Rules:There are 3 rules in bibliobop:
- “Dance anyway you want! Silly crazy, fast or slow, but no kicking, biting or shoving. Bigger kids, please be careful around the smaller kids. Parent, please stay in the room the whole time”
- “As you can see we have lots of musical instruments (I hold them up as i describe them) We’ve got jinglers, janglers, click-clackers, and rattlers. And If you need something softer and quieter, take a breather with these colorful scarves. Please take turns and share…No hoarding or snatching.”
- Have Fun Fun Fun!
10:15-10:55 Hit Play and watch ‘em go!
I stay in the room the whole time. So far the parents have been super. I haven’t had a single parent try to drop off a child and leave, but you never know. However since “bop” is literally (part of) the name of the game, I try to keep an help parents out by being an extra set of eyes, especially when parents of multiple children and or toddlers who are just starting to walk.
The mix CD is long, so we don’t run out of music. At 10:55 I wait for whatever song is playing to end, and then I skip to the last song #25: “Goodbye Song” by Yo Gabba Gabba.
11:00-11:20 Clean up
- Gather supplies. Dump instruments, flyers, mid cd in blue bin.
- Turn off PA system
- Clean up LMR
- Lock up
- Power nap.
|GOOD READ-ALOUDS FOR BIBLIOBOP|
|TITLE||LAST NAME||FIRST NAME||CALL #|
|Over at the Castle||Ashburn||Boni||J/P|
|I Ain’t Gonna Paint No More||Beaumont||Karen||J/P|
|Over in the Arctic||Berkes||Marianne||J/P|
|What a Wonderful World||Bryan||Ashley||J/P|
|Ruby Sings the Blues||Daly||Niki||J/P|
|Cha-Cha Chimps||Durango||Julia||J P|
|Teddy Bears Picnic||Hague||Michael||J/P|
|Got to Dance||Helldorfer||M.C.||J/P|
|Soon Baboon Soon||Horowitz||Dave||J/P|
|Horace & Morris Join the Chorus||Howe||James||J/P|
|Baby Brains Superstar||James||Simon||J/P|
|Whistle for Willie||Keats||J/P|
|This Little Chick||Lawrence||John||j/P|
|Geraldine the Music Mouse||Lionni||J/P|
|Remarkable Farkle McBride||Lithgow||J/P|
|Froggy Plays in the Band||London||J/P|
|Boom Baby Boom Boom||Mahy||Margaret||J/P|
|ChickaChicka Boom Boom||Martin||Bill||J/P|
|Baby BeeBee Bird||Massie||Diane||ST|
|Our Marching Band||Moss||J/P|
|He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands||Nelson||Kadir||J/P|
|Ten Monkey Jamboree||Ochiltree||J/P|
|Max Found Two Sticks||Pinkney||Brian||J/P|
|Five Little Ducks||Raffi||J/P|
|Saturday Night at the Dinosaur Stomp||Shields||Carol||J/P|
|Play, Mozart, Play||Sis||Peter||J/P|
|Five Nice Mice||Tashiro||Chisato||J/P|
|Itsy Bitsy Spider||Trapani||Iza||BIG|
|Over in the Meadow||Voce||Louise||BIG|
|Tanka Tanka Skunk||Webb||Steve||J/P|